Interstitial ads can be beneficial only when they imply the best practices and know how to use them efficiently. It is extremely important to follow the Google AdMob interstitial ads implementation guidelines to avoid being penalized by Google. Disallowed interstitial implementations can lead to AdMob ad limit issues and account suspensions.
This article will examine why Google AdMob accounts are penalized because of disallowed interstitial implementations. However, before we get to that, let’s understand interstitial ads better!
What are Interstitial Ads?
One of the most interactive forms of ads is interstitial ads. They are full-screen ads that cover the interface of their host app. Interstitial ads are best placed between content to appear during natural transition points or breaks. AdMob interstitial ads implementation guidelines state that interstitial ads should ideally be placed between app activities or game levels.
They cover the app user interface entirely, and their full coverage makes interstitial ads so distinct compared to other formats, such as native or banner ads.
What Are the Disallowed Interstitial Implementations?
1. Do Not Implement Interstitial Ads During App Load Or App Exit
Implementing interstitial ads during app load or even when a user is exiting an app can penalize your Google AdMob account. Interstitial ads should only be placed in between pages of app content.
Disallowed Interstitial Placement:
Allowed Interstitial Placement:
2. Do Not Place Interstitial Ads Outside App’s Environment
App publishers must not position interstitial ads on apps when running in the device’s background or outside the app’s environment. Users should always know which app the ad is associated with.
3. Do Not Implement Too Many Interstitial Ads
Overwhelming your users with interstitial ads can also result in penalties on AdMob. Too many frequent interstitial ads lead to poor user experiences and accidental clicks.
App publishers are advised to place no more than one interstitial ad after every two user actions within your app to avoid any policy violation.
4. Do Not Implement Interstitial Ads Abruptly
Implementing interstitial ads suddenly between a focused task – such as playing a game, filling a form, or reading content is restricted and penalized by AdMob. Such a kind of implementation can result in accidental clicks. It also frustrates users and creates a bad user experience.
5. Do Not render an ad if there is a latency in loading the ad
After following all the above-listed protocols, AdMob can still penalize your account for latency in rendering the ad. As an app publisher, you may aim for the ad to render between the app pages, although if the ad appears abruptly after a new content page because of the carrier’s latency. It is also a factor that you must account for and prevent! Ensure to preload the interstitial ads in advance.
So, What Are the Recommended Interstitial Implementations?
Apart from the general drill of interstitial ads implementation, which is to integrate the latest SDK, check the app flow and ensure a linear user experience, there are a few other factors to consider.
- Consider if interstitial ads are the correct ad format for your application.
- Ensure implementing interstitial ads at the natural transition points in your app. For example, Implement an interstitial ad after completing a game level.
- Ensure you do not place interstitial ads after every click or user action.
- Make sure to pause the app’s background activity when showcasing an interstitial ad.
- Preload interstitial ads! Consider loading the ad before you intend to show it to avoid latency and accidental clicks.
- Set up a frequency cap on your interstitial ad to avoid degrading the user experience.
- Do not monetize a page that doesn’t have any content on it
Still worried about being penalized by Google AdMob?
As an app publisher, you must comprehend that Google focuses on user experience to create an ideal ecosystem for app publishers, advertisers, and users.
Interstitial ads cover the entire app screen, which may be problematic for users trying to access the app’s content. Thus, it is crucial to use them in the right places and only a few times, depending on the type of app.
If you are still worried, the ideal way to tackle this is by teaming up with Google AdMob experts such as AppBroda. We are an official Google AdX partner and understand everything about Google’s ad policies and interstitial penalties.
AppBroda ensures that your app complies with the latest recommendations and policy guidelines. We also continue to look for ways to help you optimize and increase your ad revenue while keeping you updated on the latest changes that Google proposes.
Book a free consultation with one of our AdMob experts today to know more!
Related Posts You Might Like:
- Google AdMob vs ironSource
- Interstitial Ads vs Banner Ads: Which One Generates More Revenue?
- Facebook Audience Network vs Google AdMob: A Comparison
- What Are Interstitial Ads & How You Can Use Them?
- Best Practices to Follow While Implementing Interstitial Ads